This is a staple recipe for us! Stir fry’s are a great option for a quick healthy dinner, full of flavour and great for lunch the next day. You can have this recipe with or without a carbohydrate portion (brown rice or noodles a good option though).
You either love or hate tofu. If you hate it, coating it in seasoned corn flour is an absolute game changer. If you still hate it after trying it this way, then the positive about this recipe is that you can use any protein you like (prawns, chicken or beef are great options).
If you can’t get ready ‘toasted’ cashew nuts, when you’ve finished frying the tofu, pop the cashew nuts into the same pan and toast them for 2mins.
- 60g brown rice or noodles
- 280g tofu
- 3 tbsp corn flour + pinch of salt and white pepper
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp chilli paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 large handful cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 250g mixed vegetables
- 1/3 cup toasted cashew nuts
- Fresh coriander (optional)
- Prepare 60g uncooked brown rice as per packet instructions (if having).
- Cut the tofu in half so it’s thinner, place the 2 blocks between 2 chopping boards and paper towel to drain the tofu of water.
- While it’s draining mix the chilli paste, garlic, soya sauce, sweet chilli, rice wine, lime juice, and toasted sesame oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the tofu is drained, cut it into 1inch sized cubes and coat evenly in the cornflour, salt and white pepper.
- Add 1.5 tbsp of olive oil to a non stick frying pan over high heat and fry the tofu until golden (roughly 10mins). Turning often.
- When the tofu is just about finished. Add 1/3 of the sauce to the hot pan and stir quickly to coat the tofu. It should evaporate and get “sticky”. Turn off the heat after 30 seconds.
- Set the tofu aside and prepare the vegetables. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a hot wok. Add the cherry tomatoes (if having) and vegetables and cook on high heat for 3mins until just wilting. Add the other 2/3 of the sauce and cook for a further 2-3mins or until desired vegetable crunch.
- Add cooked brown rice to a bowl (if having). Top with vegetables, tofu, toasted cashew nuts, fresh coriander and lime wedges.
Have a recipe suggestions for us here at Today with Rosé? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.